Wednesday, September 13, 2006

WTC

"I'm swallowing kryptonite. No one can save me now, not even superman inside a lead suit.
Jumping off the bridge without a rubber banded rope. Flying my commercial jet airliner into the building, screaming: allahu akbar, allahu akbar, allahu akbar (god is great)!
No one can stop me now, not even god. I'm gone. I'm dead. I'm done. You will no longer see or hear me ever again, not that I'm aware of. Not that I'm aware. I am dead and gone and good riddance to you."
--Tiompka, unknown poet.
-------
After THE DOORS I don't think I've seen any other film by Oliver Stone. I used to laugh and say, get it? Wham! (That's the sound of being hit over the head with the POINT of his films.) Here's the point WHAM! I'm going to show you the point WHAM!(I'm smaking my hand flat on the desktop here for emphasis, making the motion of crashing a baseball bat over your head.) Here's the point WHAM! Get it? WHAM! There's the point WHAM! Oh, and in case you didn't get it, WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! WHAM!
It is an over the top method. It is that dramatic medium, but a bit excessive I thought, his work, things coming from him, regardless that in this day and age of multi-tudinal, distractedness.
There's an old hollywood storytelling method: Tell them you're going to tell them. Tell them. Then tell them you've told them.
And, it was showing them that, not telling per se. It is the visual/aural medium, to be sure.
"Looks more WHAM! Like a sycamore WHAM! To me WHAM WHAM WHAM!!" --Yogi Bear, as stunt actor, trying to make it big in Hollow-wood, as ever, trying to get out of Jellystone Park.
---Mr. Ken.

No comments: